These few, elite individuals made it all the way

From Antioch to the Pros





Frank Beede III graduated from Antioch High School in 1991 where he lettered in three sports: football, wrestling and track. He became the BVAL heavyweight wrestling champion in his senior year. Frank pursued football in college, playing on the offensive line as a guard for three seasons at U.C. Berkeley. He started in the 1993 Alamo Bowl and earned honorable mention for the All-Pac 10 Conference in 1994. Frank transferred his senior year to Oklahoma Panhandle State University where he was named to the NAIA All-America second team and All-Oklahoma Intercollegiate Conference first team. Frank began his pro career with the Seattle Seahawks in 1996 becoming the first free agent rookie to become a starter in franchise history. Frank played five years with the Seahawks before joining the Arena Football League, playing center for the San Jose Sabercats for an additional six years. During his years with the Sabercats, he was part of a team that won three Arena Bowl titles: 2002, 2004, and 2007. Frank retired from football in 2007 and returned to East County to become a history teacher and football coach. In 2010 Frank was honored by the NFL as its Teacher of the Year recipient.



This Antioch High grad’s football career stretched from Stanford to Scotland and back to Antioch. Born in 1973, Mark learned his skills early as a player in Antioch Youth Football and later played football, basketball and baseball at Antioch High. The 6’4”, 215-lb. phenomenon was named an All-America pick after being ranked 7th best high school quarterback in the nation, grabbing the attention – and a scholarship – from prestigious Stanford University. As part of the Cardinal, Mark connected on 194 of his college career 333 passes. As a college senior, he passed for 2,533 yards, throwing 19 touchdowns – four of which were in one game against UCLA – and had only nine interceptions. He was named to the All-Pac 10’s second team his senior year and was the MVP of the Stanford team. In 1996, Mark signed with the Chicago Bears. Prior to Chicago, he was a member of the Arizona Cardinals practice squad as an undrafted free agent. Following his National Football League career, Mark traveled to Scotland. He played in the World Football League for the Scottish Claymores and also for the Frankfurt Galaxy where he played in the 1998 World Bowl VI against the Rhein Fire. Following his professional football career, Mark came back to his hometown and coached in the Antioch Schools.


NFL Umpire

Rich’s path toward a football career began as a standout player at Antioch High School and at the University of Arizona, eventually leading up to his current position as an National Football League game official. The 1972 AHS graduate has worked for the NFL since 2004 as an umpire (#49), earning the privilege of working his first playoff game by his second year - the Wild Card game in 2006 between the Carolina Panthers vs. New York Giants. He was chosen in 2007 to work the NFC Championship (New Orleans at Chicago) and in the 2009 wildcard game (Philadelphia at Minnesota), as well as the wildcard game in 2011 (Pittsburgh vs. Denver). Rich served as an alternate official in the 2008 and 2010 playoff games and was an alternate official for Super Bowl XLV in Dallas for the Pittsburgh vs. Green Bay matchup. Prior to 2004, Rich worked in the NFL Europe League for eight years, highlighted by officiating in the 2004 NFL Europe World Bowl played in Germany. Prior to his stint in Europe, Rich was one of the original officials hired by the newly created Mountain West Conference in 1999. During his five years there, he worked the Alamo Bowl, Holiday Bowl, Humanitarian Bowl and Outback Bowl games. From 1985-1998 Rich officiated in the Big Sky Conference, where he was a umpire for 14 playoff games in Division 1-AA and the National Championship Division 1-AA Game in Tennessee in 1998. The former Panther’s officiating career started at the youth football and then high school level, progressing to the junior colleges, right after he graduated from the University of Arizona with a degree in public administration in parks and recreation. Rich played for the University of Arizona Wildcats for four years on a football scholarship. He was a three-year starter at right defensive tackle, helping Arizona win the Western Athletic Conference Championship in 1974 and 1975. At Antioch High, the Panther football MVP was All-DVAL for both offense and defense and All East-Bay and played offense and defense in the Contra Costa-Alameda All-Star Game. Rich now lives in Tucson, and has three grown sons.



The 2007 Deer Valley High School graduate was the Contra Costa Times Player of the Year and selected by the San Francisco Chronicle for its First Team All-Metro honor. The two-way starter set a Wolverine single season record of 19 touchdowns and rushed for 1,466 yards, averaging 9.3 yards per carry. He had 37 tackles and led the Wolverines to a 10-0 regular season record and the Antioch school’s first Bay Valley Athletic League title since it first fielded a varsity football team in 1997. Taiwan received a scholarship to Eastern Washington University, but did not play until his sophomore year. He had an 87-yard touchdown run on his first collegiate carry as a junior in 2009 and set a school record in 2009 with a 96-yard TD run against Idaho State. He suffered a broken foot that kept him from playing in the semifinal and championship games but managed to have a banner year in 2010, rushing for 1,742 yards and 14 TDs in 12 games. The season ended on a high note as Taiwan was selected to several all-star teams: NCAA Football Championship Subdivision All-America as selected by the American Football Coaches Association (first team), Associated Press (first team) , College Sporting News (first team) , and was the Big Sky Conference Offensive Player of the Year. He currently holds the EWU school record for all-purpose yards per game (162) and has a college career high of 5,021 all-purpose yards. Twelve times in his career he eclipsed the 200-yard mark in all-purpose yards and had a career high 230 yards in a 38-31 victory over North Dakota State. In April of 2011, more than four dozen NFL scouts, coaches and executives migrated to the Los Medanos College stadium in Pittsburg, Calif. to watch a solitary Taiwan prove he had the raw talent to make the NFL. San Francisco 49er coach Tom Rathman described the gathering as the biggest attendance for a private workout he had ever seen. Taiwan did not disappoint, running the 40-yard dash in a dazzling best of 4.33 seconds. The 6-0, 195-pound running back was chosen by the Oakland Raiders in the fourth round of the NFL 2011 draft, the 125th overall pick, allowing him to return to the Bay Area to wear the silver and black as a Raider. In a preseason game, Taiwan scored a 22-yard touchdown and rushed for 81 yards on 13 carries against the New Orleans Saints. His NFL running back debut in the backfield came on September 18, 2011 against the Buffalo Bills with a four-yard carry. Taiwan, playing on special teams and specializing in kickoff returns, recovered his first NFL fumble in a victory against the New York Jets one week later. In an emotional game on October 9, 2011, one day after the death of Raiders owner Al Davis, the 23-year-old recorded a solo tackle in a 25-20 win over the Houston Texans.



Mike Lucky’s performance as a high school senior in 1993 was so spectacular that he was recruited by every college in the Pac 10, but picked the league champions – the University of Arizona. While at Antioch High, Mike’s varsity career included 53 catches for 1,000 yards and 16 touchdowns. As a senior, the tight end was named First Team All-State and earned a spot on the All-America team, the 18th best prospect in California prep sports. Mike made his mark with the Arizona Wildcats, finishing his college career with 46 receptions for over 500 yards and four touchdowns. He was a key member of the 1998 Wildcat team, ranked fourth in the nation at 12-1. He played in the Hula Bowl and Florida Gridiron Classic. The Dallas Cowboys drafted the 6’6”, 280-lb. college senior in the seventh round in 1999. He played four years in Dallas, starting 18 games and finishing his pro career with 19 receptions and a touchdown. Mike served as a blocking tight end and was part of the historic game when Emmitt Smith broke the all-time rushing record. The Ed Block Courage Award was given to Mike for overcoming a devastating knee injury prior to his second season. Knee injuries ended his pro career in 2002.



Gino is arguably the most successful professional athlete to call Antioch High School his alma mater. He played varsity football for the Panthers under Coach Jack Danilovich between 1941-1943. Gino graduated in 1944, at the height of WWII. Following service in the U.S. Army, where he fought in the Battle of the Bulge. Gino was on the 1947 Antioch Hornets semi-pro team prior to playing at Modesto Junior College and then the University of San Francisco from 1949-1952. During 1951, the Dons were undefeated. He began his illustrious pro career with the 1952 New York Yanks, which became the Dallas Texans, and eventually moved to Baltimore to become the Colts in 1953. Gino spent 13 seasons with the Baltimore Colts, wearing the famous #89 jersey from 1953-1966, helping them win NFL championships in 1958 and 1959. The 1958 game is best known for Gino’s refusal to leave the field after breaking his leg. As team captain, he insisted on staying on the sidelines to support his teammates against the New York Giants. His broken leg left him out of the Pro Bowl that year, interrupting his string of nine Pro Bowl appearances. The Associated Press named him the NFL’s Most Valuable Player in 1958. Gino played in 10 Pro Bowls and was the 1963 Pro Bowl MVP. Gino ranks among the greatest NFL defensive ends; elected to the NFL 50th Anniversary All-Time Team (1969), the Pro Football Hall of Fame (1972), the NFL 75th Anniversary All-Time Team (1994), ranked 15th to the Sporting News’ list of 100 Greatest Football Players (1999), All-Madden Millennium Team (2000), and the NFL 100th Anniversary All-Time Team (2019).



Aaron was the smallest 12-year-old on the Northern California Championship Little League Team in 1989, but grew up to be the most successful baseball player in Antioch history as second baseman for the World Champion St. Louis Cardinals in 2006, one of the five teams he played for in more than eight major league seasons. His journey began with playing for the Antioch Fireballs under the tutelage of veteran Little League coach Butch Felix. He played for the Dodgers in the Babe Ruth League, a premonition of three decades later when he would play for the “real” Dodgers in Los Angeles. He was a key factor of Antioch High’s North Coast Championship wins in 1994 and 1995. While playing varsity starter three years for the Panthers, Aaron was named to Baseball USA’s Top 100 Team and the All-State Team. He batted .538 his senior year with 34 RBIs, and spent three years as All-League. After his graduation in 1995 the Houston Astros drafted Aaron in the 19th round. Aaron spent eight years in the minor leagues working his way up, earning 2002 MVP in Double “A” League and Rookie of the Year in the 2003 Triple “A” International League. The call-up finally came in 2003 from the Chicago White Sox. The multi-tasker, who has played outfield, second, third, shortstop and pitcher, made his Major League Baseball playing debut on September 11, 2003. In 2004 the 5-foot-8 switch-hitter was voted All-Rookie All-Star Second Baseman and placed fourth in the 2004 National League Rookie of the year vote. The City of Antioch proclaimed “Aaron Miles Day” on November 20, 2004 and awarded a ceremonial key to the city now on display in the Sports Legends Hall. Aaron was traded to the Colorado Rockies that year and played for two seasons, the first player in Colorado history to hit home runs from both sides of the plate in the same game. He was traded to the St. Louis Cardinals in 2006, and made key plays for the team in its World Series win. Although primarily a second baseman, Aaron made his pitching debut against the Washington Nationals on August 1, 2007, one of the five games in which he pitched relief in the majors, resulting in an ERA of 3.60. The following year was his best year yet as a hitter in the major leagues, posting a .317 average with the Cardinals. On December 31, 2008, he signed a two-year deal with the Chicago Cubs as an infielder. He returned to St. Louis for one season in 2010 and hit .281. Aaron’s 2011 season was with the Los Angeles Dodgers, mostly playing third and second base and shortstop, appearing 454 times at bat, hitting .275 and driving in 45 runs, the second highest of his MLB career. The 34-year-old led the National League in 2011 with the highest hitting percentage with runners on base, batting .357. Aaron has already earned a spot in major league history: On April 3, 2009, he became the first batter at the new Yankee Stadium in New York in an exhibition game against the Yankees, and got a base hit. Aaron retired after the 2011 season with the Dodgers. His career stats were 932 games, 2,827 at bats, 793 career hits, 229 RBIs with a career .281 average. On defense, he carried a fielding average of .978.



The Antioch native’s trajectory from unrecognized high school recruit to Super Bowl XLVI in the span of five years makes Sterling Moore a “1 in 10,000 player” according to Deer Valley High Football Coach Rich Woods. “Football didn’t even enter my mind” until my senior year, Moore told journalists. His single varsity season in 2006 at DVHS resulted in 10 tackles, 12 assists and one fumble recovery in eight games. However, he was a member of the Wolverines’ 10-1 Bay Valley Athletic League championship team, playing alongside Taiwan Jones, a future Oakland Raider running back. Coach Woods said Moore wasn’t singled out for any league honors, but (was) “a smart football player. What he lacked in speed, he made up for in reaction time.” Moore continued playing football at Los Medanos College in Pittsburg in 2007 for the Mustangs before transferring to Laney College in Oakland, where the defensive back was All-Golden Gate Conference and an All-California First Team selection made by the Community College Football Coaches Association. Moore accepted a scholarship to Southern Methodist University in Texas as a junior, and had to prove himself once there. “I was a two-star recruit,” he said, speaking to a Boston newspaper, “I had to climb to the top.” And climb he did, making 46 solo tackles, 13 assists and three interceptions over a 19-game career, including SMU’s post-season victory in the Hawaii Bowl. The 5-10, 190-pound Moore remained undrafted following his college career, but signed with the Oakland Raiders on July 28, 2011 as a free agent. The next several weeks became a roller coaster: signed four times and cut a total of three times from two different NFL teams’ 53-man rosters, uncertain if pro football was in his future. He was released by Oakland on Sept. 26, then signed to the New England Patriots’ practice squad on Oct. 5, making his first League appearance 11 days later against Dallas. Three weeks later, Moore had his first start on Nov. 13 against the New York Jets at safety, playing the entire game and making his first tackle. He was cut on Dec.10. Four days later, the Patriots changed their mind, re-signing him to their practice squad, then promoting him to their active duty roster on Dec. 23. One week later, Moore had two interceptions, one resulting in a 21-yard touchdown return, in the New Year’s Day 49-21 victory over Buffalo. That effort earned Moore the AFC Rookie of the Week honor, the first to be won all season by an undrafted player. It was three weeks later, in the AFC Championship Game, that Moore performed 27 seconds of magic. In what football commentators considered the best moment of the entire NFL season, Moore stripped the ball from Lee Evans’ hands as the Baltimore Ravens receiver was about to make the game-winning touchdown on January 22, 2012. “I saw him catch it and for a second I thought, ‘Oh no, we lost and it’s on me’, ” said Moore in an interview. “But it was all instincts... I didn’t know I knocked the ball out until I saw it rolling on the ground.” Moore followed that incredible play by breaking up the Ravens’ next pass attempt in the final three seconds, earning the Patriots a ticket to Super Bowl XLVI (where Moore later made three solo tackles). “That was a great play by Sterling,” said Patriots quarterback Tom Brady. Patriots Coach Bill Belichick said of Moore: “He competes hard and he’s a tough kid. He’s got good ball skills.”



Jeremy, a 1994 Antioch High graduate, had the unusual opportunity to play professional football for both Bay Area teams - the San Francisco 49ers and the Oakland Raiders - keeping his #62. The 6’5”, 315-pound offensive lineman was first drafted in the second round by the 49ers in 1998. His “Power, Toughness and Tenacity” won a place on two Pro Bowl teams in 2001 and 2002 as a center. Jeremy was a starting player in nearly every NFL game in which he appeared. He had a 107-game unbroken stretch of starts within the 120 games he played over an 11-year NFL career that ended with the San Diego Chargers. His work ethic earned the respect of his 49er teammates who chose him as a three-time recipient of the Bobb McKittrick Award as the team’s top lineman in 2000, 2003 and 2005. They also awarded him the The Ed Block Courage Award, given in 2003 and 2005 for playing with severe ankle and knee injuries. Jeremy was born in 1976, the same year his dad, retired Antioch police officer Dave Newberry, lettered at Cal as an offensive lineman. Jeremy was chosen for the All-BVAL, All-East Bay, All-Bay Area, All-Nor Cal and All-Far West teams. As a senior he recorded 11 sacks and was in the top five in the state as a heavyweight wrestler. He later played at U.C. Berkeley on a football scholarship. He had a 93% blocking consistency as a Cal lineman, the highest for any Cal player in the 1990s. On May 22, 2010, former teammates, friends and hundreds of fans attended “Jeremy Newberry Day” at the Antioch Historical Society Museum. Oakland Raider Coach Tom Cable, who was Jeremy’s line coach at U.C. Berkeley, told the crowd that the former Panther was “the best I ever coached... It’s Antioch’s day to honor him, but he’s always honored where he came from.”



John came up through the ranks of Antioch youth football, playing at Antioch High between 1970-1973. He was MVP and team captain on the league champion Panther team, and was chosen for both Offensive and Defensive All East Bay Teams. His prep football career was capped by playing in the North-South Shrine Game at the L.A. Coliseum. Before graduating in 1973, John placed first in the DVAL shot put and was MVP at the Stapleton Relays. Before earning a B.A. from Stanford in 1977, John was the only non-scholarship freshman elevated to the varsity team for the “Big Game” against Cal. At Stanford, John competed in shot put and discus, while playing inside linebacker and special teams in football. After graduation, John played linebacker for the Canadian Football League’s Montreal Alouettes. He was a starter in the CFL Eastern Finals and played in the 1978 Grey Cup game. John came back home to Antioch in 1980 to play for the Antioch Hornets, earning MVP. The Kansas City Chiefs signed him in 1981 for special teams. In 1982 John played for the Chiefs during a strike-shortened season and was in the last game ever played at Metropolitan Stadium. John was inducted in 1988 into the American Football Association Semi-Pro Football Hall of Fame.



The early 1980s saw Antioch High’s baseball team reach a new height with its North Coast championship in 1984. Leading that team was Jeff Pico. Jeff’s talent was evident in his sophomore year, when he posted a 7-3 season with a 1.53 ERA. The Panthers named Jeff their MVP during both his junior and senior years. The 6’2”, 170-lb. pitcher had a 6-0 record in 1984. The Antioch native, born in 1966, was drafted in the 13th round by the Chicago Cubs, and signed by scout Tom Davis. He played 13 seasons professionally. Jeff’s major league pitching debut on May 31, 1988 against the Cincinnati Reds went down in the Cubs’ record book: a shutout. Tossing a four-hitter, he became the first Cubs pitcher to throw a shutout in his major league debut since Bill Lee on May 7, 1934 against the Phillies. He appeared in 113 games during three seasons in the major leagues – 1988 through 1990 – and had a career ERA of 4.24. His best preseason, 1989, Jeff had an ERA of 3.77 and a 3-1 record. Jeff’s major league career posted a winning lifetime 13-12 record in 295 career innings. Following his playing days, Jeff turned to coaching which he has done since 1994. Jeff is currently coaching in the Arizona minor leagues for the Visalia Oaks. Prior to Arizona, Jeff coached the South Bend Silverhawks and Chico Heat.



Evan was born in Pittsburg in 1972, but called Antioch his home. His prep career at Antioch High included two years of varsity football under coach Steve San chez and two years of track. He received the Duane Putnam Outstanding Lineman Award as a senior, as well as being named All-League, All-East Bay and All Nor-Cal. Evan attended Brigham Young University in Utah on a full scholarship. At BYU he was an All-Conference lineman – dubbed the Cougars’ “pancake maker” for his blocking successes – and a team captain his senior year, making the Kodak All-America Team. He held the bench press record of 510 pounds at BYU, and was later inducted into its Hall of Fame in 2005 and named to its All-Time Lavelle Edwards BYU Team. The 6’4”, 298-lb. guard was drafted into the NFL in the third round by the Chicago Bears and had a six-season career, playing in 32 games. He played with the Bears from 1995-1997. Evan spent part of 1998 with the Tennessee Oilers, but was traded to Atlanta where he played in 10 games. He was on the team roster in 1999’s Super Bowl XXXIII. Although he left pro football in 2001, Evan got a chance to suit up as a player again when he appeared as a “prison guard” defensive lineman in the 2005 film “The Longest Yard,” starring Adam Sandler.



Ron represented Antioch High School well in 1965, becoming the East Bay Player of the Year, and went on to a nearly decade-long career in the NFL. In his senior year, the gifted prep running back was All-County, All-League, All-Metropolitan, All-Northern California and an Honorable Mention All-America selection in addition to being named East Bay Football Player of the Year. He was chosen to play in the 1965 North-South Shrine Game. The honors continued while at Arizona State University where Ron was an All-America honorable mention and named to the All-Western Conference team as a linebacker in 1966 and 1967. He earned full All-America team honors in 1968, when he was tapped to play in the College All-Star game, Hula Bowl, Senior Bowl, and East-West Shrine Game, where he was named top Defensive player. Ron was named to the Sun Devils’ All-Time Football team and to the All-Time Western Athletic Conference team. The 1969 first round draft pick was scooped up by the Houston Oilers and later played for Cincinnati. He was a starter for seven out of nine pro seasons playing for the two teams between 1969-1977. Following his playing days, Ron was inducted into the Arizona State and College Football Halls of Fame and chosen by the Contra Costa Times for its East Bay All-time High School Football Team.



Duane had a lengthy career as both player and coach in the National Football League, but got his first taste of success as a member of the undefeated AHS Panther football squad of 1945 under Coach Jack Danilovich. That year’s prep performance earned the tackler a spot on the Contra Costa County First Team. Following two years in the Army on the tail of WWII, Duane went on to a stellar four-year varsity career at College of the Pacific (now University). While earning his teaching certificate in the early 1950s. His athletic honors earned enshrinement in the UOP Hall of Fame; he was also on the All-Coast Team, All-America Team, and captain in the Sun Bowl. Duane’s pro career began with the L.A. Rams in 1952, where he spent his first eight years in the NFL. He then spent a season as a Dallas Cowboy and a year with the Cleveland Browns before returning to Los Angeles to finish his 11th pro season while playing in 121 games. Duane was selected All-Pro five time before he retired from active playing and began a new career as an NFL coach, spending 11 years divided between the Atlanta Falcons, Philadelphia Eagles and St. Louis Cardinals.



The baseball, football and basketball teams all looked to Butch’s leadership – and golden arm-in 1961-62. He was an Antioch quarterback and pitched on the baseball team. Butch also played basketball, scoring 200 points his senior year. He was named All Nor-Cal and unanimous First Team All-League. The three-sport star was Athlete of the Year at Antioch in 1962. Fresno State University offered him a scholarship for basketball. After one season he transferred to Diablo Valley College where he played basketball, baseball and football. He was named Golden Gate All-Conference quarterback in 1963. In baseball, his ERA of 1.84 became the fourth all-time lowest in 50 years at DVC. Butch was DVC’s Athlete of the Year in 1964. He finally settled for one sport – baseball. He signed with the Philadelphia Phillies in 1965. In 1968 he led the Eastern league with most wins (14), most shutouts (6), most completed games (14) and an ERA of 1.76. Butch was the first Antioch player to break into major league baseball when he made his White Sox pitching debut against Minnesota on April 7, 1970. He won 62 minor league games in his professional career. In 2006, “Big Righty” was named to Reading, Pennsylvania’s “AA” Hall of Fame as one of the best all-time pitchers.



Alex set six all-time baseball records at UCLA, but he developed his athletic gifts at Antioch High. His senior year of 1984 was a great prep year for Alex: he was 10-2 with a 1.54 ERA including 89 strikeouts in 61 innings pitched. Named first team All-DVAL for three consecutive years and two years as All-East Bay and All-Northern California, Alex led the AHS Panthers to their North Coast Championship victory against Hayward in the Oakland Coliseum, capping a 23-5 season. In basketball he was named First Team All-DVAL and League MVP as well as the DVAL’s top scorer and named AHS’s Athlete of the Year. Antioch later honored Alex by retiring his #23 baseball jersey. He was named by USA Today as one of the top 25 pro prospects and drafted by the Chicago Cubs straight out of high school in the 20th round in 1984, but chose to attend college first on a scholarship. The UCLA years were fruitful. Alex still holds the single season all-time record for 16 wins, set in 1986 during his sophomore year and was named co-Player of the Year in the Pac 10 and to Baseball America’s First Team. Alex’s unbroken UCLA records, set between 1985-1987 include; career total wins (27), career games started (58), career innings pitched (341), all-time career strikeouts (328) and single season games started (23). The 6’2”, 185-pound, hard-throwing right-hander was drafted again in 1987, the #17 overall pick in the first round by the Toronto Blue Jays. In 1989, his best minor league year, he was 13-7 for Syracuse and was named the International League’s Pitcher of the Year. Alex made his major league debut as a starting pitcher against the Minnesota Twins on May 23, 1989. His nine-year pro career included stints with Kansas City, Seattle, San Diego and Oakland’s franchises, accumulating 59 career wins in the minors.



Ron Sbranti graduated from Antioch High in 1962 after playing third base on the varsity baseball team and offensive and defensive end in football during his junior and senior years. He was All-League in both sports and captain of the football team. Ron was known for his hard-nosed football, which was noticed by college recruiters. He was signed by Utah State University and played there on a full-ride football scholarship. During 1963-1965 at Utah, Ron was a starting defensive end for all three years and team co-captain in his senior year. The 6’2”, 235-lb. linebacker played in the 1965 Honolulu, Hawaii Hula Bowl and the 1966 East-West Shrine game in San Francisco at Kezar Stadium. In the latter he caught a touchdown pass. Ron was drafted in the 10th round, the 147th overall pick, by both the Denver Broncos and the San Francisco 49ers in 1966, during the days of the double draft. Ron played 14 games for the Broncos in the 1966 season, wearing jersey #54.



Baseball earned him early glory as a catcher on the Babe Ruth State Championship team in 1981, however Larry would carve out a career as a professional golfer. Larry played high school JV baseball but focused on varsity golf at Antioch High where he was a co-MVP as a junior. In 1984, he played at San Jose State on a golf scholarship, where he won the PCAA conference championship in his freshman year. Larry transferred to the University of Arizona, winning five individual golf title matches and two Pac-10 Conference titles in his college career, as well as First Team All-America twice. In 1988, Larry was named Pac-10 Player of the Year. His University Of Arizona stroke average as 71.60. He was inducted into the University of Arizona Wall of Fame in 1993. Larry made his Professional Golfers Association debut on Jan. 22, 1989 at the Phoenix Open. He competed in 157 tour events and placed in the top 25 sixteen times and in the top 10 four times. 1991 brought his first PGA victory, shooting 14 under par with a sizzling 63 on the final day to win the Deposit Guaranty Golf Classic, collecting the biggest payday of his career - $54,000.